2.7.10

Spring in Europe: Firenze

The first time I was in Firenze* I really enjoyed it.  After spending two weeks in Roma, it was such a relief to be at a slower pace in a city that seemed a little bit more real.  It actually seems like people actually inhabit the city: there are locals, local eateries, local specialties, etc.  While Roma is constantly catering to the tourist, and constantly being epically grand, Firenze has a much more approchable feel to it in my opinion.


*that's right.  I'm calling it Firenze because that's what it is.  I'm not trying to sound pretentious, despite the fact that being a native english speaker it is completely pretentious to call it such.  Ridicule as you wish.  When I'm back I'll go back to our English interpretation: Florence.


While we were here in April we spent a few days in the city and traveled to Bologna and Sienna (aka Hogwarts South, cause that town is build for wizards by wizards I'm sure of it).   While here with the group it was the usual whirlwind tour, walk here, sketch this, sketch that, move on, get yelled at in churches for taking pictures.


At the end of our stay we were given some free time, many decided to travel to the Cinque Terre or Ravenna.  My original plans were to go visit Old Man Savey up in Copenhagen, but unfortunately that fell through so I just decided to relax in Firenze with Sam, Duy, Kohlton and Kim.


As much as I like people (and I like people a lot) I have either become more introverted or realized that I like more intimate interaction.  I'm not all about being lost in a big crowd; a hand full of people having good conversation is just right with me.  Some of my favorite moments this entire trip have been shared not with the whole group, but just a few people that I've gotten really close to this trip.


One of these small group experiences was the five of us roaming around the streets of Firenze on Notte Bianca or White Night.  It is an all night festival of the arts where the museums were all open, the streets were packed wall to wall, and TONS of people were dancing.  It was great.  It was one of those times when you look around and realize that this.  this is life.  One of those I am in the midst of an adventure and I love it times.


I left Firenze happy and rested, ready to take on Vicenza and studio.


I returned to Firenze emotionally and physically exhausted.


School was over but that last week in Vicenza had taken a toll on me.  It wasn't too hard saying goodbye to my classmates, I knew I'd see a few over the summer and the rest in September.  What was difficult was the realization that my time in Europe was coming to a close, the program is over, "closing time" was playing in my head.  What made this week more difficult was I felt like I lost so many people.  Some I will see again, I promise, and one who I will never see again, and I will miss deeply. 


The train ride here was comforting, like going to see an old friend to re-live good memories.  


Unfortunately, however, it should be noted that Firenze has changed since I've been gone.  No longer is it the place where I can walk from Santa Maria Novella to the Olt'Arno and potentially hear no English what so ever.  Now I'm surprised when I hear Italian.  The city has become tourist central, which makes sense but is AWFUL. I've gone most of this trip in the off season and hitting the city like this was kind of shocking.  Though I haven't let it ruin my stay.  In fact, this is probably the most relaxed I've finally been all trip.  I know how to get around, I have nothing to do, and my parents are paying for things.  Firenze is still treating me well.


The Parents and I had a little fancy night out the other night at this restaurant on the south side of the Arno River overlooking Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi.  It seems fitting to end this post with some images from the night:


prosecco e arno


delicious.


DSC_5886


DSC_5898


lock that down.  firenze style.


Ciao ciao, Firenze.

No comments:

Post a Comment